SALUTING THE CEDAR GROVE FIRE DEPARTMENT ON 100 YEARS OF SERVICE
This year, as Cedar Grove marks one hundred years as a township, the Fire Department also has a reason to celebrate:
Early in our town’s history, it was quite customary for individuals to meet and discuss various problems. One such individual, Andrew Jackson Taylor (a Civil War veteran), suggested a bucket brigade be organized in Cedar Grove.
As a result, Fire Company #1, now CENTER FIRE COMPANY #1, was formally organized on May 18, 1908.
FIRE COMPANY #1 was operated as a private organization from 1908 to 1911. The change was made when the Township officials helped pay for a pump and a wagon.
The Cedar Grove Fire Company No. 1 was incorporated on May 12, 1911.
NORTH END FIRE CO. NO. 2
Members held their first meeting on September 8th, 1928 in a room over Dittig's store at the corner of Stevens Avenue and East Lindsley Road.
The Company was incorporated on July 9th, 1928.
SOUTH END FIRE CO. NO. 3
During 1929, another new fire company was organized in the South End of Cedar Grove. A meeting took place and Cedar Grove Fire Company No. 3 was organized in what was then the Joseph R. Hughes Real Estate Office on August 18th, 1929. The company was incorporated on August 29th, 1929.
This information has been adapted from "The Origin of the Cedar Grove Fire Department" by Ernest DeBaun. There is much more detail on the Cedar Grove Fire Department web page.
Click on A CENTURY OF MEMORIES page link to view Centennial Home Page.